Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

As it is a lot to think about, try and concentrate on emphasising effort on one thing at a time so you can slowly build up to it, otherwise your brain is going to go into overload!

Quote Originally Posted by Yatesy View Post
    As it is a lot to think about, try and concentrate on emphasising effort on one thing at a time so you can slowly build up to it, otherwise your brain is going to go into overload!
    Yeh I think you're right there, ill go for sheeting in hard before take off first and he fully that will give me the extra rotation I need

Vulcant!

I love seeing that you already try them on both tacks from the start. Keep up the good work!

That's because neither side feels natural! I'll keep trying both tacks though so I get more attempts in

Update on my vulcan progress, had a decent session with jdrummer at esso this evening and managed to get around 180 degrees a couple of times and slide a bit before getting ejected out the back, lots of speed, hard sheet in and weight forward and over the board really helped me get the rotation.

Also amazing how much your mind plays a role, I found if I thought about it too long after unhooking it all went to pot but if you just unhook pop and go for it it seems to make a huge difference.

Now need to focus on hand change and get leaning back the way I came so I can stop crashing out the back.

Latest vulcan attempt (reckon its about number 50). Getting round, need to concentrate on leaning back from where I came when landing and also getting hand across body.

any tips welcome!

video here: https://vimeo.com/74013139

You're getting there. My 2 cents:

1. No need to jump as high as you do. I always find them a lot harder to land if I end up too high.

2. The old back hand needs to sheet in hard as you pop, then immediately go to the boom to do the hand change. This encourages the weight to stay over the board. At the moment your hand ends up way out over the side of the board.

I did exactly the same thing until someone told me to concentrate on the hand change, which makes a big difference.

3. Related to this is your body position at the start. It needs to be right over the mast foot i.e. as forward as you can get. This feels totally unnatural and unpowerful, but it is essential.

To get a bit physics-y, there are two forces trying to throw you off balance which you must over come:
    1: being as close to the centre of rotation minimises the centrifugal force throwing you to the outside of the turn.
    2. Leaning back the way you've come avoids the deceleration throwing you in the direction you were originally travelling at.

Both of these forces are trying to throw you out the back door, which is why the weight must be in such a forward position to overcome them!