8th April 2013, 10:43 PM
If your UJ snaps and the safety line doesn't work you'll be dead lucky to still be with your board especially in f5+. If the safety line works sail in. If not best solution do lots of swimming in the winter (I meant too and didn't this winter )
9th April 2013, 06:25 AM
I'd agree with Rod a sudden UJ failure will seperate you from your board when it goes and you would need to be pretty quick and lucky to get back to it if there is much wind. In theory you can use your deck plate and downhaul rope to reattach your rig and limp in. The reality is you hope you can grab the floaty bit and paddle.
In any proper wind or waves derigging on the water is not very practical. The probability is you'll become seperated from your board or lose the rig. Your better of ditching the rig and using the extra time to paddle the board back. If the sea states flat you might get away with it.
Boom snaps turn it round or sail in clew first.
Hole in sail limp in.
Snapped mast derig or turn top half around to produce a useable stump if possible. Under most mast breaking circumstances I'm in waves and will wash in anyway if I just hold on. Otherwise dump the rig asap and start paddling.
Fundamentally don't go out further than you can swim and have a good wetsuit.
Last edited by TallJames; 9th April 2013 at 06:29 AM.
9th April 2013, 06:38 AM
my comment was about a more general failure,
Originally Posted by Harald
UJ failure is something you can avoid 100% if you check the joint regularly
I worry about mast breakage, that's my worst nightmare,
It happened to me once and I was towed back by an other surfer, I was holding my back strap and the back strap of his board and he slowly sailed back, he could not plane or sail up wind so we ended up about 200 meters away from where we had our cars parked. Not big deal!
9th April 2013, 08:05 AM
The most important thing is that you don't sail too far offshore and you are wearing enough rubber.
Then worst case you can swim to shore without your kit and you will at least be safe. Late Spring is probably the most dangerous time - you often see people sailing in a shorty on a sunny day but the water temps are probably only just above 10C. If you had to swim for more than a few minutes that would start to get dangerous.
I've busted the UJ once before and just about managed to catch the board before it blew off downwind. I was then able to float in in the waterstart position with the boom resting on the tail of the board. It took quite a long time but it wasn't particularly hard. It was a flat-ish day though.
9th April 2013, 08:30 AM
The most dangerous situation I can remember was a catapult head first into the sail. Sail was ripped and I was probably quite close to unconciousness, anyway my whole vision was blurred for a couple of minutes. But after I recovered a bit, it was just a long slog back ashore. A helmet might be usefull for situations like that - but it was one situation in 20 years of windsurfing. Another thing was the "wind drops dead in an instant" in 5°C water temps, 20min swim back in in fading light. Yummie!
On Fuerte, my rig seperated from my board. Probably because there was some sand in the extension so that it didn't lock properly. But I was able to catch the board and it was pretty much on the inside anyway. But losing the board out the back is the most dangerous situation I can think of. Especially in stormy conditions with big waves.
9th April 2013, 08:54 AM
Good thread Jack, and at a time of the year that it's worth considering such matters.
Keep calm and swim like your life depends on it for your board (which it may well do), would be my advice.
9th April 2013, 09:03 AM
Having a cheap mobile on you does sound like a good plan if it goes completely wrong. Also people looking out for you on the beach?
Only once have I been in one of these situations- it was pretty light wind at the Witterings, so I went out on my big kit to mess about in the small waves. I got planing on one run, so went out quite far, wanting it to last. Failed at a gybe and was just waterstarting when the wind really started to pick up. The rig kept getting ripped out my hands. Got stuck in a rip which lasted 20 mins, getting more and more worried. Finally after numerous attempts and completely knackered I managed to get in.
Last edited by jackoboi; 9th April 2013 at 12:57 PM.