Default Grubbys (Grubbies?)

Had my first session of the year on Sat at Esso beach, Hayling. Getting more consistency with my Vulcans now so tried a few Grubbys. Oh dear! I 've found another new way to crash.

What tips do you have for a Grubby virgin. I have read all the stuff on the net and in Trictionary but wondered if anyone has any tips that really worked for them or gave them a Eureka moment when learning them.

cheers

I'm no expert but just recently made my first one.

As per the Vulcan weight forward. I carve quite deep downwind and then pop. Sheet in as you pop but then sheet out as far and as quickly as you can, otherwise you just get flattened.

See the first 30secs of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YutYAAZnn4U

Like Tim says carve downwind, the more powered up you are the more downwind you need to go. Make sure you have your front hand by your harness line not at the front of the boom like a vulcan. Then when you pop wait until the nose of the board touches the water and then sheet out hard with your backhand and bend your front arm, as the board comes round move your back hand forward and sheet out to stop the rotation and control the power. Once you've done a few of them you'll get the feel of them and soon be planing out of them. Good luck.

thanks for the tips. Do you have to pull the clew through the wind on the first part of the rotation, or should it feel weightless because of how broad your sailing

If you are doing it right it should feel weightless, but you do need to sheet in as you pop to get the clew through the wind, but once the nose is in the water you need to sheet out hard. Try to keep the clew as the same angle as the wind when you are sheeting out so that you don't get overpowered. If you are getting round but landing wet, under the sail then try to focus on getting your weight further forward and sheet out more aggressively. Also your head is crucial in the rotation as always so keep looking over your shoulder.