Default Flat water shaka

Off waves or big chop it's not so hard to get the height and rotation, land in the position like half way through an upwind 360 and sail away. But struggling to get anywhere close on flat water/small chop. Any tips for getting the rotation?
    Last edited by thewindmap; 10th February 2013 at 09:56 AM.

I can't do the Flaka, but it's high on the list of things I want to learn. I've heard several lectures about it, looked at tons of videos, and thought about it a lot. You can find some of this on my blog under the keyword "Flaka". Maybe you find some of that useful.

From what I've seen and heard, you don't need a lot of height, unless you want to do an air flaka - just clearing the fin is enough. The key in getting the board around seems to be in the body rotation, with arms and shoulders going first, and hips and then legs following. That makes the Flaka quite different from the Vulcan, which can (should) be done with a lot of sail steering. As I said, this is just hearsay, but from some rather excellent freestylers.

Default Riccy c

Quote Originally Posted by thewindmap View Post
    Off waves or big chop it's not so hard to get the height and rotation, land in the position like half way through an upwind 360 and sail away. But struggling to get anywhere close on flat water/small chop. Any tips for getting the rotation?

hit it alot broader than you think! also really snap the heals down harder sharper than usual and throw the sail harder! Most people would agree they are harder on flat water, because they are! but just commit harder and be prepared to eat you sail and you ll get them

Quote Originally Posted by riccleworth View Post
    hit it alot broader than you think! also really snap the heals down harder sharper than usual and throw the sail harder! Most people would agree they are harder on flat water, because they are! but just commit harder and be prepared to eat you sail and you ll get them

Should you hit them as broad as you will doing the flaka?

Quote Originally Posted by Asle View Post
    Should you hit them as broad as you will doing the flaka?
    I Just wrote a full answer then pressed post and it was deleted, this forum sucks

Main points:
    Dont go downwind, that only helps for sliding landing, you need to actually be landing to worry about this
    Push down on boom a lot
    Go really fast
    See Adams sims blog about the raily thingo

Good luck