Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default GoPro Hero 2 vs GoPro Hero 3

I was wondering if someone could explain the differences between those two action cams.
    What GoPro Hero 3 can do better than GoPro Hero 2?

Thanks

Go to the Go Pro website

Apparently it's more advanced , and it's got wi-fi:-

The Wi-Fi enabled HERO3: Black Edition is the most advanced GoPro, ever. No expense was spared during its development, resulting in a GoPro that is 30% smaller, 25% lighter and 2x more powerful than previous models. Wearable and gear mountable, waterproof to 197′ (60m), capable of capturing ultra-wide 1440p 48fps, 1080p 60 fps and 720p 120 fps video and 12MP photos at a rate of 30 photos per second, the HERO3: Black Edition is the world’s most versatile camera. Built-in Wi-Fi, GoPro App compatibility and the included Wi-Fi Remote (normally a separate $79.99 accessory) make the HERO3: Black Edition all the more versatile, still.
    It is what it is.

I looked at this a while ago and concluded that they all shared the new smaller case, the white was simply an earlier model repackaged, the silver much the same, but with better sensor / electronics (poss the old HD Hero 2) and only the Black was an all-new model.

NB this is as I recall it; the best way is to use the website and compare specs on sensor, lens and shooting rates and you then build up a picture of what's what...
    My Flickr Windsurf collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bsideth...7622592103903/
    Hayling Windsurf & Kitesurf Photographers: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1993863@N23/

Go pro 3 is a series of 3 cameras and that is important because it now means Go pro 1 Go pro 2 are obsolete. There is still work to be done on go pro 2 to fix some firmware issues but the big question now is how much longer Gopro are likely to put any time into the older models. So I would say go for the Go Pro3...but which one? As stated above the Gopro 3 series are all the same new smaller and lighter format and all have wi fi built in (NB that also means all 3 have a new smaller battery). As far as the specs are concerned the White is essentially the same as Go Pro 1, the Silver the same as Go pro 2 and the Black is a new specification with a more powerful processor that has enabled a range of higher resolutions and framespeeds. For example the black is the only model providing 1080@ 60fps 720@120fps 1440@30fps, 2.4k and 2.7k ( all with or without Protune). It also has manual white balance. Beware however. If you intend using anything above 1080 @30fps you will need a PC that is powerful enough to run it, a video viewer that can handle 60 fps ( Windows Media Player cannot for example)...and a video editor that can handle 60fps and very high resolution. You will also need to know what you are doing in terms of video editing to use any of those outputs. Your TV, You Tube, DVDs and (Blu ray unless it is the latest spec) will only accept a maximum of 30fps.
    My advice? The Go Pro2 was significantly better than the Go Pro 1. The go Pro 3 Black is really only beneficial if you have a use for the higher resolutions and framerates..and can handle them. So unless you are a Pro or very keen amateur video maker, go for the Gopro3 Silver.

I got a black and besides all the frames and resolution stuff i bought it (2 days ago) because of the remote control and excellent GLASS lens that is way more clear as the older plastic ones.
    Especially the remote control saves lots of battery and editting/going through the endless borring parts of slogging out instead of just start capturing just before you catch a wave...
    188x90kg 40y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Fextail96 + Goya Quad84
    Hotsails Firelight 6.0+ 5.3+3.4 KS3 5.2+4.6+4.0 + Ultra masts, lots of K4 fins.
    Starboard 14+12.6 racesups wavesups in 10+9+8.2

Ah. Good last point. Does that mean you can attach the remote on the boom as an on/off switch?
    Blank space