Default New Board Advice?

Hi,

I am about 83kg, currently I have Fantic TripleX 105 (2005) and Freewave 86 (2006) 105 seems to be the one I use the most and if the wind picks up I change to the smaller one as quickly as possible. I sail mainly at Branksome. This summer I had a chance to try the 2012 range of Fanatic Freewaves while at Fuerte and I can't really say that there was a massive difference when compared to TripleX either in early planing, gybing or speed, they are a bit wider so more stable and more floaty at the back but I can't say it makes a huge difference. I had no chance to try Skate but looking at the guys on this board it is clear that it planes super early and with smaller sail than you would use with FW.

Question than : is a freestyle board a good option to replace the tripleX with considering I don't do any freestyle? will it actually perform well in choppy S. coast conditions? what is its upwind ability?
    My TOW is a bit limited at the moment due to family commitments so I am looking for something that gives flexibility and significant improvement in performance if poss. I don't do much wavesailling, basically I go out when I can and when it's windy and just try to make the best out the conditions the spot offers. I don't think there is anything wrong with tripleX so not actually sure if I really need a new one at the moment and I wouldn't go for the FW at this stage as I don't see the benefits.

Can anyone comment or suggest an alternative?
    thx,
    B

It sounds like you are good with what you got and can save the money for when you know there is something to gain. What is it that you are not satisfied with in your current equipment and what would you want to improve? What sizes of sails do you got?

Do you have good masts and fins and a good boom?

Regarding freestyles (I sail them all the time) they are beautiful boards but best if you will do any freestyle. They will plane up early. It is easy to go up wind even with a very small fin, but that is more a technique thing. Going out in chop without doing freestyle I would prefer a fsw for better carving or eventual a smaller freestyle, but going smaller you will miss the early planing in flatter waters.
    One other thing about a good freestyle is that it makes you want to do some poping and sliding stuff even if you did think that you would not do that. No reason for not trying out and learn the vulcan, you will have a lot of fun

Hi Baart, we must pass each other at Branksome a lot. What sail sizes are you using? I used to use a Flare at BDC but found it didn't handle the chop terribly well, was amazing in the harbour though. There are a few who use skates quite successfully at BDC, but freestyle waves seem to be the preferred choice and I reckon they deal with the usual water state better. I've sailed the 105 xxx a long time ago and the fanatic FSW in the sames size. I'd agree on there not being a massive difference between them, but reckon a modern freestyle wave would give you equal early planing but better top end and more turnyness with 10 litres less volumn. Whether the improvements worth the cost is another question.

Back tracking a bit a 105 litres at 83kg is a pretty floaty board and you could get away with about 10 litres less in volumn and not loose any sailing days, based on my experience. I use a 92 and 105 with a maximum sail size of 6m, at 95-97 kg it's a good size spacing. The dream quivers in the latest boards might be worth a look at for idealised volumn spacings and boards to, they're grand pimping, but seem correct to me.

Well this is the thing I don't really feel I need to improve a lot in the equipment I have but reading articles and hearing people talking what a huge difference the new(i.e. post 2010) boards offer I begun to think that maybe I am missing on something very important. While on Fuerte I tried all the possible configurations and still feel that my current setup and volume spacing seems to deliver what I need. Hardly ever do I use anything bigger than 6m and when i tried 6m with FW 95l there was a significant loss in terms of planing ability when compared with 105l.

Normally when I arrive at the beach I just rig 6m and take 105 and leave 86 on the beach if it is too difficult to handle or it feels 86 will not be too small I just change the board and than if that doesn't work or wind picks up I would change to 5m and change the fin if needed. that covers pretty much majority of the days when I am out (it doesn't necessarily reflects the prevalent conditions here though). Plus a few days when 4.6 or 4.2 will get used but that is rare. I would rather be slightly overpowered anyway. With some money spare at the moment buying a board is one of the options I am considering but I am not desperate. I have to possibly replace my 5m sail as it is quite old now but other than that I am happy with what I have.

So am I missing on something or not ? like u said there is a lot of pimping in that article and some good thoughts too but will I actually notice the difference considering I am not probably using the full potential of the kit I have at the moment?

hopefully see you on the water.
    b

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA

your basic question is IF I change kit will I be able to benefit from it to the extent of investment, while having limited TOW

since hardly none of us discourage spending on windsurfing kit this is probably the wrong place to ask.

The freestyle route (A SKATE or other FSW oriented one) would offer some advantageous , but will also have a trade off in some your FSW needs. Their are many that are happy with the freestyle in conditions that sound like yours.

Since your TOW is limited I think I would take advantage of it when you can, perhaps a earlier planing FSW from 2010 or newer

K4 Fins
    4Boards.co.uk

May the fours be with you