Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Fanatic Gecko v RRD Firemove

There have already been lots of threads and comments about the RRD Firemove, and having had a chance to sail Jem's out in Prasonisi earlier this year, I can understand why - RRD seem to have come up with something a bit new that should appeal to a lot of sailors with this board.

Now Fanatic have launched the Gecko, which their shaper (Sebastian Wentzel?) openly admitted in an interview I read recently, is their interpretation of the Firemove.

So - has anyone sailed both and can comment on the relative merits of each board? They certainly seem similar, although the Gecko costs less I think, but are there any differences in how they sail? And is this a new class of board where we can expect to see other manufacturers bringing out their own versions?
    Tacking is the new gybing.....

So what did you think of it Nick? Useful for South Coast bump and jump?

From what i can see the Gecko is similar in price to the wood RRD, with the LTD being a more expensive option. From what Ola said it sounds like we can expect a Simmer version soon.
    Can't jump, won't jump.

To be fair, it's flat in Pras, so didn't really get a chance to see what it would be like in chop, although the reports are that despite the width, chop isn't a problem.

I sailed off the beach and pulled off three consecutive gybes straight off the bat - to quote Jem 'that's another one sold then!' It definitely flattered my sailing and I thought it was a great intermediate board.

I'd definitely like one as my lighter wind summer board (probably get the 110 litre, which is the one I sailed) - just need my divorce to finalise so that I'll know if I can afford one (or anything else for that matter)!
    Tacking is the new gybing.....

Only thing holding me back (along with eye watering price) is that i've not really missed the 7.5/big board combo as it seems my 6.2 and Angulo112 is enough 99% of the time. But think it'd still be a good bit of kit to have access to.
    Can't jump, won't jump.

Their are many good attributes to the RRD FireMove and one of them is the huge wind range that it has, from planing in light airs to being very controllable when well powered up, this along with its very easy gybing make it an amazingly enjoyable board to sail that like Nick says just flatters your sailing.

For someone like Paul P above the firemove 110 would sit excellently above your Angulo as when the wind is abit marginal on the 6.2 you can just change board and keep planing and enjoying : )

With the FireMoves you have to realise that with their outline being wider, shorter and thinner you can add 10 - 15 litres to their volume to get your virtual volume, and add 25 litres to the planing potential of the board. Sooooo - the 110 floats like a 125 for me and planes like a 135, yet gybes and controls like 110 - nice!

Some good feedback and comments on the FireMove on this thread:

http://forums.boards.mpora.com/showt...light=firemove

Let me know if anyone has any questions - put the Fire into your moves. This is the fastest board I ahve ever owned from try to buy, I give someone a go on it on one of my clinics or in the UK and then many go out and buy one as soon as they get home. People that do not even wish for a bigger board look a bit sceptical and then try it and are hooked. I strongly believe that these types of boards will revolutionise windsurfing as all weights and abilities of sailors can enjoy and improve on them.
    www.jemhall.com

RRD boards, suits and harnesses / EZZY SAILS / Pro Sport Sunblock

2014 Clinics:
    PSC, Baja, Mexico - July 19 Training, July 26 Clinic Sold Out & August 2 Clinic LAST PLACES
    Brandon Bay, Ireland - September 27 One place / October 4th One place
    Jeri, Brazil - November 28 - December 15 / 2 clinics / SOLD OUT

jem@jemhall.com
    Focus, believe and Enjoy!

Back to wide and thin eh? I must admit they are fun at least the 110 I tried was. Please though Jem, do not let RRD use all that virtual volume crap in their advertising. The borg did that a few years back and all it did was create confution and in some cases anger. To be fair at least RRD seem to be stating the actual volume of the board rather than some made up "it feels like a xxx volume board" garbage. My first iSonic for example was 105 liters but called an iSonic 115. While it was a truely great board I know a lot of people were pissed off by the misleading marketing volume wise.

Back to the Firemove, is there a list of UK demos days available so people can give them a go?

Good point DA. I'm a little unsure if I need the 110 or 120. I know I'm 100kg+, so maybe it's the 120. But I also know that I don't plan on going bigger than 7.5 so perhaps the 110 is the one? Thankfully Dougie is a local RRD pimp, so plan on giving one of his a shot soon.
    Can't jump, won't jump.