Page 123 of 123 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 119 120 121 122 123

Yeah, this issue:

http://www.windmag.com/mag-wind-381

The last teaser video on that page shows the boards tested, at the beginning.

Or pick the freeride/FSW boards in the 85-90litre category off the lists given here:
    http://www.windmag.com/actu-wind-spe...marques-testes
    Last edited by basher; 28th April 2014 at 04:42 PM.
    Local wind only this week? Catch it if you can.

If you are on the Starboard emailing list you'll have had this link this morning. It's a test win for the NuEvo 86 – a board which I have:

http://www.star-board-windsurfing.co...feb-2014-en-fr

It's another reprint of a test from the French Wind mag, originally published in February.

I would agree with what they say, and the NuEvo 86 is my favourite board right now. It's happy with a 5.5 if necessary, but I've also used it with sails as small as a 3.7 and was surprised how well it still behaved. As such, this board has an extraordinary wind range.

Interesting too, that the test report there describes the board as early planing. I find mine pops onto the plane really early but others have said they found the board a big draggy for that first release if underpowered.

It's worth reminding however that the 'get up and go' of any board can depend on how floaty that board is for your weight as much as on the rocker line or rails.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    It's a test win for the NuEvo 86 – a board which I have:
    just emphasized the main message of your post...

apart from that indeed a very nice board!
    Last edited by chrispavlo; 26th May 2014 at 11:15 AM.

Well, Chris, the thread title gives you a clue as to why I posted that.

The link is for a magazine test of a board. As I have that board and have now sailed it a lot I can comment that I agree with what they found. Simples.

We have so few board tests available nowadays it's good to emphasise those we do have.

I guess a test 'win' or 'testers favourite' tag does emphasise that some guys who work for a magazine liked a board – but choosing a wave board is a personal thing in terms of board size and for the conditions in which you usually sail, so a test win is largely irrelevant for most people.
    When you spend a lot of money buying something I guess it's always reassuring to know others appreciate it as a top product too.

That said, the NuEvo is very much a plug and play board that will appeal to lots of people.

And – on my beach at least – twins are the new quads, LOL.

How does the 86 feel in a fast carving bottom Turn? Is it secure and give confidence or a little more nervous, can you change the radious of the turn at will Etc?

Well any board will turn according to the rider on it but it's certainly one of the loosest boards I have ever had on a wave. People on the beach have been commenting (unprompted) how from the first time they saw me on it I was taking a different line on the wave and going tighter in the turns.

Imagine then, what a better sailor than me might achieve?

It's not 'nervous' at all either, with the rail holding well at all times. That looseness is probably tuneable by using different size fins however.
    At the moment, I'm on 16.5cms MUFC fins, like Koster uses. So they are small but upright in profile. The supplied fins are more swept back and the same sort of length but with more area – that extra area might suit heavier sailors than me.

The ride on the way out is less 'hectic' than a Starboard Kode but still very fast. I guess it's that control that gives the NuEvo its broad wind range. If you want to go full pelt at a wave and are into jumping, then the Kode wave might be a better bet. But with the NUEvo, I like the shape and the idea of twin fins near the rail – that's what makes this board unique.

I would add however, that I have only sailed the NuEvo86 at Hove or at Worthing so far. So I can realistically comment for its ride or handling for say cross-off conditions. Reports from those who sail in those conditions however say it's good.

I have sailed the NuEvo 80 in very different conditions in Cape Town and that was pretty good there. At the moment, the 80 has become redundant in my quiver because the 86 seems so settled even in high wind and chop.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    If you are on the Starboard emailing list you'll have had this link this morning. It's a test win for the NuEvo 86 – a board which I have:

http://www.star-board-windsurfing.co...feb-2014-en-fr
    well, you seem to be a VIP @Starboard -
    mortals like me got the TikiNews hours later in the evening...