28th August 2012, 12:17 PM #1
New large wave board recommendation - quad
Im looking to potentially replace my 2009 92 Twinny for a quad (maybe!)
Some facts / attributes:
- will be my biggest board - 90-100 liters (i weigh about 85kg), which i reckon i use 75% or more of the time in SW Wales
- needs to excel in DTL cross to cross off, as thats the riding i love the most, and get to do quite a bit in Fresh and Newgale etc (think kinda Gwithian if you have never been down here)
- be good / work in cross on as well pls
- i love the playfulness of my twinny, but wouldnt mind some more "security" in the btm turn....i guess they all do this, right?
- im thinking that the extra drive (i think) Quads give would be useful as i sail majority in 5-6m conditions - agree?
- early planing as per the reason above - its my big main board - do they plan earlier than my twin?
Im thinking of Starboard 92, Fanatic 94, Simmer Quantum 95 and Goya 92, Quatro 95 (012) and 90 (2013)
So - any suggestions thoughts?
Ideally by those that have used them!
28th August 2012, 12:19 PM #2
Too many finsGot an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!
28th August 2012, 12:50 PM #3
I dont think the dodgy bottom turn is a generic thing with all twin fins. Mine is solid in the bottom turn and then the looseness is in the top department. Have you experimented with different fins, larger fins or moving the fins about in the boxes? I have no experience of quads, but my gut feeling is that they wouldnt plane earlier or be more pleasant in waves. Security = boring? However that may fly in the face of common perception."Kiting's fine, but it ain't windsurfing"
28th August 2012, 12:57 PM #4
Simmer Freewave 95?2014 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 18, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 12
2013 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 21, SUP/WindSUP 04
28th August 2012, 01:03 PM #5
I think between us (or Puravida) we could rustle up a Witchcraft demo for you. Rod's custom 90, my 90 Chakra, someone must have a V3 Wave 90 somewhere.Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!
28th August 2012, 01:04 PM #6
- Join Date
- Jun 2004
I live and die by my Starboard 92 Quad, hopefully planning on piling on the pounds this year as i've added the new 100 Quad to my line up too!!
Looks good your way Thursday!
TimoStarboard, Severne, Nokia, Animal, Concept 2
28th August 2012, 01:05 PM #7
Yes Gmac - that is the obvious and much much cheaper alternative i am considering!
I defo wouldnt buy before i demo'd them side by side with my twinny anyhow...
Duncan - i think the Quantum is more what im looking at ie DTL, rather than a fwave rocker
LB - i thought it was more fins the better, no??