Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

I went out Sunday and Monday, A bit gusty on both days but had some super runs and managed to get my front foot in the strap and feel under control, Monday was the best as I managed my 1st water start, felt amazing when I got on the board and sail away.... Mind I couldn't do it again as the wind just wasn't strong enough (or just lucky 1st time I think) but I will keep trying. I went out tonight after work, 6.7mtr but so gusty had a lot of trouble holding it down, finally got catapulted onto the mast and have another wicked bruise on my leg after landing on the mast (3rd time this has happened to me and always the same leg). I am still having a lot of trouble when planing just of a beam reach as when I accelerate I end up getting pulled onto a broad run and just can't seem to head back up wind, no matter how much pressure I seem to apply to the rail. I'm sure I am leaning to rig forward too much when planing and not raking back enough. Anyway out again Friday afternoon as wind guru say it's going to be 16knots gusting 20knots...HAPPY DAYS...hope my legs better by then. But as long as the winds up, I will be out.

Went out again today, the wind was as expected and managed to get planing in both straps....what a great feeling as I had no control problems, when you are in the straps, you can drive the board a lot easier whichever way you want with just a small amount of pressure on your toes or heels...when I felt I was planing down wind I just put my foot in the front strap and stayed on that run but completely committed to the harness to pick up more speed and rake the sail back a bit, then leaned my body forward a little to sheet in and once all the pressure on by back hand eased, I put my back foot in, and what a rush... but once into the back strap controlling the board is a lot easier than I ever imagined...Can't wait till I can get out next....

its a great post phantom... there is one issue the beginners would have to deal with is of the fear of high tides and balancing at that critical moment when the boat just about to drown away.... doesn't it really seems to be much frightening :P

After a 15 year break from the sport I bought some gear and got back into it. Couldnt waterstart, had never been in the straps. Now after a good summer of wind and making friends with local sailors (who have been excellent at meeting up and giving advice) waterstarting is a piece of piss, blasting in the straps no probs and I make about 50% of my gybes. Even had a few good jumps.

I have been using an old starboard carve 135 and I have found it to be excellent and really easy to sail. It also fels really light compared to my mates Fanatic Shark 145. My only gripe would be it spins out easily if you crest a wave at an angle and the fin loses grip, but Im sure this would be solved with a slightly bigger fin. Next year I'll be buying a new board but will likely keep the Carve for lighter wind days.

The season is just about over for me now because it's fecking freezing but Im looking forward to next year where I am looking at Lanzarote (Teguise) for a blasting holiday.

I've only been out three times in the last 8 weeks or so.The first of these it was freezing cold and my hands got really cold after an hour. I thought I'd better get some gloves so used them for the first time last Sunday. What a mistake that was. It was gusting over 30 and almost instantly I got arm pump and couldn't grip the boom. That was a real eye opener and it took me a while to work out it might be the gloves rather than just shoddy fitness. After 20 mins of being barely able to hold the boom and having the sail ripped out of my hands (on a 5.5) I binned the gloves and within another 30 mins things were much better.

The downside is that I've now got a knackered wrist. What should have been the best sailing conditions so far for me turned out to be the most disappointing. What a waste! At least when I got rid of the gloves my faster tacks started coming together, but I'd keep getting hit by a gust and just get pulled in.

Harness proved to be a problem as well and I had a few launches.

A couple of weeks earlier I went out with a mate who's a good windsurfer. He hired a board and was planing away on a small Rio and a 7.5, whereas I struggled to get going on a 6.25 on my Carve (he didn't when he borrowed my board!).

Still it's all experience

Hey all, it's nice to see a thread like this started! Has anyone dared the cold waters lately?

I'm getting back into windsurfing again after recovering from a minor illness a couple of years ago. I'm hopefully going to be working on from where I left off - getting into the back footstrap and waterstarting (only seemed to be successful 30% of the time!) I will also be working on my gybes.

Anyhow, just a hello looking forward to hearing more progress updates. I hope your wrist is better crell!

Junior Member PhantomWindsurfer's Avatar

Default First session on 2013

PHEW! I braved the cold waters yesterday for my fist time back on the water since Oct 2012 (trip to Brazil). It was not was cold as I thought it would be and apart from an ice cream headache and one toe that decided that sensation was optional I didn't become hypothermic! Second I felt like I had forgotten everything, my body position was horrible and aside from a few ok water starts (on my strong tack) and a few good runs I spent most of the time struggling to remember what it was supposed to feel like. The cold won before I did and I returned to the beach. I was still proud that I gave it a go and on checking the wind stats after packing things up I again realized why it was such a struggle -- the wind was blowing A LOT stronger than predicted it was between 25-30 knots instead of the 15-20 I was expecting. So no wonder holding on to my only sail a 4.7 was so difficult. In Brazil I was on a 4.2 in 20-25 knot wind, so I guess after all maybe it wasn't such a bad session and I can't wait to get out there again...only next time hopefully it will be a little better than yesterday!
    2013 sessions: 3 (plus 7 days in Vass, May)

http://goodshiplollypop.blogspot.co.uk/