Default Mistral AB or JP VII

Hi I am thinking about buying a 2011 JP 121 or Mistral AB Slalom 123

Will be using for slalom with North Warp 8.0 and 9.0 and occasionally 7.0 - has anyone experience with these boards?

I weigh 95KG

I have just sailed the JP and Mistral back to back, sail was 9.0 North WARP, conditions ranged from Non Planing to fully powered up - here are my observations:

Dispite dimensions and volumes being very similar: JP 238 x 76 x 121L Mistril 238 X 75 x 123L the Mistral feels much bigger - probably because it has lots more volume up front - as a result it is easier to tack and much more comfortable in non planing conditions, however, JP seems to get planing slightly earlier.

In light wind gybes Mistral wins every time - with that extra volume in the nose there is no fear of sinking the nose - just come out of the gybe, weight forward, sheet in and go - with the JP, you have to be careful not to sink the nose coming out of the gybe - this was a real problem that I had with my Isonic 115 with big sails

Surprisingly neither board is stunning up wind with a big sail - fin was probably a little small (46cm)

In terms of speed, the JP feels faster, especially on a close reach, sailing right off the fin, working the board all the time, it feels very stiff - the Mistral on the other hand feels much easier, more like a freerace - it reminds me of Mistrals of the 1990's - the Engery, Engergiser, Explosion etc - these boards were much easier than the Fanatics and F2's to sail, but they were also really competetive and won numerous championships. Having sail all that, after making my way upwind for a few tacks I set off for a downwind blast, here the Mistral takes the honours - this board is fast, not just that, it is easy to sail fast, the JP just didn't feel as quick on a broad reach and it was not a comfortable

Next Gybing, here the Mistral excels - my first run out, having not sailed a 9.0 for 10 years or more, really powered up in choppy conditions, board gybes like dream, and comes out planing, straight into the straps, in fact every gybe was like that
    when the sail was powered up - the JP needs a far more commited technique, lots more pressure to make it turn, need to maintain the pressure (I suspect more volume in the tail), need to keep the power on through the gybe or this board will try to bounce you off - having said that the JP is ultimately more rewarding when you get it right

So what was my conclusion - Initially when I went on the JP, I thought that this was the board for me, then when I though about it, I realised that this is because it sails like my Isonic 115. The Mistral on the other hand is likely to give me better results in slalom races, it is easier to get the best out of, more forgiving of mistakes and ultimatly far easier to pick a good line round the marks.

At that size sail use a 50cm stiff tipped fin but with a thin cord, that would counterbalance the issue of earlier planing without compromise on speed.
    2014 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 15, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 09
    2013 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 21, SUP/WindSUP 04

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Adam View Post
    At that size sail use a 50cm stiff tipped fin but with a thin cord, that would counterbalance the issue of earlier planing without compromise on speed.
    What brand of fin gives the best cost / performance trade off

I will be using a 9.0 8.0 and occasionally 7.0 on the board - I was thinking about 42cm and 48cm

Quote Originally Posted by mattsurf View Post

I will be using a 9.0 8.0 and occasionally 7.0 on the board - I was thinking about 42cm and 48cm
    I have stuck with Select for moderate price v performace and can usually find one from Riks

Or Windsurfing Fins if you have to have a bigger selection.

I have just changed my big board from 120ltr/76 wide slalom to 131ltr/72 wide Freerace/ride, but will be using 53cm for 9.3m and 8.2m, 48cm for 8.2m, 7.6m & 7.0m, the 42cm for 7.0m & 6.4m. Dependant on the wind and sea state.
    2014 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 15, B&J/Wave 10, SUP/WindSUP 09
    2013 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 21, SUP/WindSUP 04

Quote Originally Posted by mattsurf View Post

Had that Mistral 123 myself and used Vector Maui Canefires and these worked well on the board. Used the following Fin/Sail combo's

9.5m - 48cm (occasionally a 50cm if the wind was on the lighter side but mostly then 48cm)
    8.5m - 46cm
    7.5m - 42cm
    Alastair
    IRL-250

www.irl-250.blogspot.com

KA Sails (www.kasails.com)
    Mistral (www.mistral-boards.com)
    Chinook (www.chinooksailing.com)
    Spartan Wetsuits (www.spartanwetsuits.com)
    Vector Maui Fins (www.vectorfins.com)
    Wind and Wave (www.windandwave.ie)

Windsurfingfins (www.windsurfingfins.co.uk)
    Rockerline Surfware (www.rockerline.com)