Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default windsurfing has just been cancelled...

well that got your attention.. ISAF have just sunk the RSX and Olympic Windsurfing as this years games in Weymouth will be the last time that windsurfing will feature.

from 2016 Kitesurfing will replace it.

http://www.sailing.org/38281.php

discuss…..

Yep, just seen the link on Facebook, a sad say for all the youth sailors that aspired to the Olympics.
    2014 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 08, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2013 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 21, SUP/WindSUP 04

Locog are proving time and again that they view the UK population as monkeys on strings so at least the next venue will have an apt sport they can use as a mascot.
    Last edited by Redsurfbus; 5th May 2012 at 02:27 PM.

A new beginning for the sport, no longer will it be seen as a boring sport, probably the best thing that could have happened!
    Sessions 2014: Windsurfing - 1, SUP - 8

Quote Originally Posted by Redsurfbus View Post
    Locog are proving time and again that they view the UK population as monkeys on strings so at least the next venue will have an apt sport they can use as a mascot.
    Did Locog make the decision to get rid of windsurfing from Olympics??
    Jag är ett förlorat Viking

Fins are for fish

Quote Originally Posted by Erik the Viking View Post
    Did Locog make the decision to get rid of windsurfing from Olympics??
    No, nothing to do with it in all honesty. I and many friends here in Weymouth are now so disillusioned over the Olympics that many of us are going away while it is on. They have already fenced off our launching and parking area at Portland Harbour almost 3 months before it starts.

It is going to make a few people very very rich while the rest of Weymouth and Portland suffers. This is already happening, funding has been taken from youth incentives, from the local athletics training ground and put into 'the olympic legacy' leaving the kids without their old playing fields, without equipment etc. Locog are constantly advertising in the area for 'Ambassadors' to work while the Olympics are on, Locog themselves are raking it in and getting people to work for free for them all in the name of the Olympics, it is disgusting! I know its off topic.

On topic I personally think its best to disassociate with the Olympics anyway, Windsurfing may well grow better without it but its up to us to make sure it does, by helping kids into the sport.

I only hope that Nick and Bryony become the eternal Windsurfing Gold Medal Olympians.
    Last edited by Redsurfbus; 5th May 2012 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsurfbus View Post
    No, nothing to do with it in all honesty. I and many friends here in Weymouth are now so disillusioned over the Olympics that many of us are going away while it is on. They have already fenced off our launching and parking area at Portland Harbour almost 3 months before it starts.

It is going to make a few people very very rich while the rest of Weymouth and Portland suffers. This is already happening, funding has been taken from youth incentives, from the local athletics training ground and put into 'the olympic legacy' leaving the kids without their old playing fields, without equipment etc. Locog are constantly advertising in the area for 'Ambassadors' to work while the Olympics are on, Locog themselves are raking it in and getting people to work for free for them all in the name of the Olympics, it is disgusting! I know its off topic.

On topic I personally think its best to disassociate with the Olympics anyway, Windsurfing may well grow better without it but its up to us to make sure it does, by helping kids into the sport.

I only hope that Nick and Bryony become the eternal Windsurfing Gold Medal Olympians.
    Trust me I know there is bad feeling down in Portland over the Olympics... PS I work for LOCOG, but am not blind to the issues overall. There are good and bad things, but those can be for another day (when I am no longer there!!)

One interesting thing I did hear from those running the Olympic Village down there is that they could not find enough local people willing to do paid roles. Now taking the level of unemployment in general that's quite a surprise...not sure how easy it is to get jobs down that way.

As for the volunteers..then that is what they are. I would not do it personally, but there are many people who are looking at the olympics as a once in a life time event and are willing to give up their time.... their choice.

Back to windsurfing not being in the olympics... not sure that's a bad thing, but really hope Nick and Bryony do well (that's coming from a Frenchman!!)...they have worked so hard for it.
    Jag är ett förlorat Viking

Fins are for fish