Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Remember remember, ISAF Novemberů. one for Markski

Not my words, but this should "stir" some interest

This from the BKSA newsletter just in

Okay, poor play on words, but relevant, right? As I write this, delegates are arriving in Ireland for the final ISAF (International Sailing Federation) conference of 2012. It was at the last ISAF conference that we saw Kiteboarding confirmed for the 2016 Olympics in Rio. That decision triggered numerous Kiteboarding vs Windsurfing debates and many of the ISAF member nations that voted for kitesurfing have since been under pressure to reverse their vote. This time next week we'll see just what effect that pressure has had.

While most of us will of course be hoping that Kitesurfing stays on the list for 2016, we should at least spare a thought for those who've invested so much time and energy into RSX Windsurfing over the years. That said, it's worth noting that many of those same people are already enjoying considerable success in Kiteboard racing, so maybe it's not all bad news for them.

Regardless of how you might feel about the Olympic debate, if you're a kitesurfer you all share the same spaces, i.e. the beach and water. So, while we're out there lets be friendly, be polite and remember that whether we're on strings or a pole, we all share a love of being on the water and having fun.

Have a happy Autumn,

Pete Shaw

Vice Chairrman

This is Racing video here - (I did have some downloading issues even with HD turned off WC)
    http://vimeo.com/52493924

have to say fair blatant piece of contrived propaganda, but done not too bad to appeal to ISAF members me thinks, now could they make RSX windsurfing look that cool / exciting?

I use the word "cool" not to wind you all up, but hopefully you know what I mean.

I'm actually still in favour of windsurfing as it is more accessible than kiting for young kids / inland sailors etc that said is their room for both as it does look more media friendly ?
    Last edited by WeatherCam; 6th November 2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Click Here for the best Sarf Coast Weather Site for the latest actual "Shingly" Weather & WeatherCam - plus all the Latest Charts, Inshore & Offshore forecasts, plus the daily blog as well as the Kit For Sale Section

The thing in all this, why does it fall to us to have to be media friendly, kite or windsurf?

What about all the other sailing dross, who in generation xfactor meejia world is remotely interested in 470's, or wimmens match racing ffs.

That is the point, probably the two most media interesting things are pitched against each other to divert attention from the fact the boring old crap like Finns which although I found personally very entertaining, only because I know and understand sailing and slow inter boat tactical ****, but to the rest of the world if it wasn't because Big Ben might lose his Gold, wouldn't have had a moments interest.

It's a total cluster**** of agenda driven yotties protecting their arses.

Unfortunately most forms of racing on water are pretty tedious to watch unless conditions are extreme. That applies as much to Kite racing as any other event. Personally I find kiting in any form pretty tedious to watch but I dare say participants are enjoying themselves. There are of course windsurfing formats that are exciting to watch albeit still somewhat conditions dependant...e.g freestyle/wave sailing. Is the degree of spectator interest the main criterea however? I don't think shot putting is at risk but it is harldy exciting is it? More important is the accessibility of the sport......and yet the one sailing event that has a proven track record of accessibility has become a casualty of a worldwide organising body that has lost its way and is more interested in retaining vested interest than promoting water sports. You guys involved in Kiting really need to wake up and smell the coffee....you are being set up to fail....and that is obvious to any politically aware outsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef View Post

What about all the other sailing dross, who in generation xfactor meejia world is remotely interested in 470's, or wimmens match racing ffs.
    Me, and Lostboy respectively, I'd say, for starters. It helps if Hannah Mills is involved. I wonder if she ever "goes toe-side".
    It is what it is.

thanks or dedicating a thread to me, sorry for not getting back to you sooner, i was busy sailing and all.......

i hope todays news means you can stick to making dangling blogs full of spelling, grammar and punctation mistakes and leave windsurfing forums to the rest of us.
    Last edited by markski; 10th November 2012 at 11:02 PM.
    want up to date weather for your local area? - look out of the window now.
    want to know what the weather will be doing in your area tomorrow? then look out of the window tomorrow

oh yeah, thread closed!
    want up to date weather for your local area? - look out of the window now.
    want to know what the weather will be doing in your area tomorrow? then look out of the window tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by markski View Post
    oh yeah, thread closed!
    strings cut.
    "Kiting's fine, but it ain't windsurfing"