Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hunstanton

Default Hunstanton

Evening Ladies and Gents.

I am looking for a bit of advice from anyone who sails in the Hunstanton area. I live and sail near Rutland water and now want to start heading back to the sea. Years ago I use to sail around Bridlington and Cleethorpes and much prefer the sea. Fed up with inconsitent wind!
    I want to sail on mainly flattish water so would like to know which wind direction should I be sailing in and how many hours either side of high tide will I be able to sail? Also which would be the best location for flat water within that area? I will be sailing a freestyle board but more as a freeride board not as a styler.

Many thanks in advance for your replys

Good flat water safe venues in Norfolk:

Hunstanton - If you want flat water 2 hours either side of low tide. Wind anywhere from South through West to NNE. There is a bank about 500m out you can stop and get off on so it is very safe. As the tide rises so does the chop.

Wells is another 10 or so miles further round the coast. Flat water pretty much any state of tide. Wind from WNW through North to SSE. The main area is available 2 hours either side of high tide, though at low tide there is a channel that runs N-S, so if there is a dead easterly or westerly you can sail that too. If sailing near high tide it's best to sail wind against tide, so if a northerly then from high tide onwards, if a SSE then 2 hours before high tide to high tide. Very safe sailing and waist deep for a lot of it.

Snettisham is 5 miles south of Hunstanton and is sailed 2 hours either side of high tide. If the tide is neap then it's not too choppy in a SW as there is a bar upwind that kills come of the chop. SSW-N winds.

Hope that helps.

Pretty much what Tim said. A bit more here: http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk/db...Sailing%20Club)
    Hunstanton is sailable just about all day in a good neap altho' there'll be little beach between sea & wall at hw. In a spring the sea can be well up the wall & with the groynes meaning it's pretty much a no-go. The reverse is a long walk at lw but as Tim said it'll usually be very flat & very safe (providinng you don't ground your fin on the bank at full speed!)
    Old Hunstanton is wavier but sailable at any tide state, the downside being a mega walk at spring lw.
    Here to share the love.

Old Hunstanton beach at lw spring tide:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beach.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	6287   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Le Strange.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	6288  
    Last edited by peter b; 3rd May 2012 at 05:53 PM.
    Here to share the love.

Gents,

Many thanks for your replys. I am looking forward to getting over there and trying it out. At least I shouldn't get that bloody Rutland cough that I get every time from the water! I'll certainly check the tide before I set off.That would be quite walk!!!!

That is Old Hunstanton rather than Hunstanton, which has a greater walk at low tide. If you are a bit nervous about sea sailing then check out low tide, even though it is still a bit of a walk. Plus flat water is so much better for your technique, learning to gybe etc.

Airconboy,

Not cast in stone but I'm most likely sailing at Hunstanton (not Old Hunstanton) on Saturday. it's quite a big tide with lw at about midday http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/tide_tables/1/161/ and forecast NNE - NE F5 so should offer you what you want if a little cold.
    Here to share the love.