Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Gul Delta 6/5/4 Winter Wetsuit Special Offer - any good??

Morning All,

I've been thinking of upgrading my winter wetsuit for a while.

I've currently got a Gul Response 5/3, which is quite a basic model and reasonably warm, but at the bottom end of the market. I think I paid about 80 new for it on ebay a couple of years ago, and it's still in good nick, apart from some wear on the thighs. I wear a tribord thermal rash vest underneath which makes a fair bit of difference.

I've seen this model Gul Delta 6/5/4 for 175 -

http://www.wetsuitwarehouse.co.uk/de...010-p-494.html

are these any good - would it be much warmer than my current suit for winter use?

I've seen other people recommend Xcel Infinity and Neil Pryde - anyone got any idea how this Gul would compare to these? And is it worth spending a bit more to get better quality?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XCEL-INFIN...item7b6887b43b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neil-Pryde...item905b96dcbb

I'm about 87 kilos, 6'2", slim build.
    What do people recommend - advice greatly appreciated!
    thanks
    '13: 37
    '14: 11

Interested in:
    Mistral Pacifico windsup or Kona One

Wetsuits are best bought from a shop, where you can try them on for feel and fit. Helps you make up your mind.

The Gul is a solid suit and will last for years but it's not the most flexible and note it has a horizontal zip across the back – which requires help to get in and out of, and is restrictive for wave sailing.

Xcel make very good suits and are warm but that one is mostly double lined so it won't be as warm in use in windchill conditions as the Gul. More flexible to wear though, and durable enough.

The Pryde is a good suit too and the most flexible to wear and easiest to get on and off. However the stretchy neoprene can end up thinner when stretched over tight areas and so might not be as warm as the other two (although that's difficult to prove).
    And I should add that Neil Pryde suits are not the most durable and can spring leaks after a few months.
    Last edited by basher; 24th April 2012 at 09:31 AM.
    The wind looks rubbish over Easter but try beaches open to NE winds on Sunday.

Ok, thanks for the advice Basher. Yes I'd hadn't noted that the zip was horizontal at the back on the Gul - that could be quite annoying if no one was around to help!

I'll have to think a bit more carefully about this I reckon. Perhaps a trip to a shop could be in order to see just what they are like to get on and off.

Interested in:

i bought that model, from that website. They are happy for you to send back if it doesn't fit, living in Orkney, this was handy. I ordered 2 sizes and kept the one that fitted right.

It's a great suit for sailing in, bit stiff when no sailing in it, and it helps having my wife to zip me in. A bit of vaseline on the zip and it's much easier now!

I recommend it!

ps - your height weight etc almost identical to me. I found a Medium Tall a perfect fit.

Hi Tim, ok thanks for the advice, it sounds pretty good. That's very good to know that they are willing to send you two sizes and then you can send the one that doesn't fit back - I may try this. Cheers

Interested in:

I'd give a thumbs up to the Pryde suits too. Got a winter 3000 series 2nd hand 3 years ago and its very warm and flexible and still going strong. Though I have had to get the neoprene glue out a few times due to some nicks