Default Calshot or Southampton Water

I haven't sailed at either Calshot or Southampton Water, but they look to be the closest places to where I'm working at the moment (I'm in Romsey, and I'm looking for somewhere to go after work tomorrow).

What's the situation with Calshot? can I just rock up, park in the pay-and-display and sail? (from memory, the beach by the huts will be the best place tomorrow - is that correct?) Are there any tidal restictions?

Has anyone ever sailed in Southampton Water? I've heard reports of people launching somewhere near Netley Abbey or the Weston Sailing club; can anyone confirm this, and let me know what tide states work?

Any info welcome!

yup calshot you can rack up and park in new forest pay and display or in council run activity center pay and display (I think you are meant to also pay a launching fee but I doubt anyone will be there to check). You might well not need to pay of an evening but I don't know as I only sail there at weekends. There is a webcam at www.intheelements.co.uk if you want to visually check the conditions or www.bramblemet.co.uk for the wind.

Solent side no real tidal restrictions except it can get v.shallow (dry) at spring low tides and a lumpy tidal flow at high tide. Neither of which actually mean you can't sail. cross-shore sw and Ne, On-shore SE. If there is more W in the wind Lepe is better and only a mile or so round the corner.

Lagoon side needs 2 hours or so either side of high but I warn you the mud smells. Nice and flat though!

Your other option is hill head which if you are the graeme I think you are means its on your way home.

Enjoy!

Oh and netley abbey, I have seen people launch from the sailing club area there. Never tried myself.

From my limited experience...

I have sailed recently at Weston SC, although a friendly lot, the dinghies are sorely limited by tide so being a small club it is likely to be locked unless you arrange in advance. You can day-sail there for a fiver if anyone is around.

If at Romsey, I'd go for Calshot. You will clip the edge of the city (have to deal with grinding traffic through Totton etc if rush-hour), but have the choice of inside the spit to Southampton Water or the other side for the Solent.
    My Flickr Windsurf collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bsideth...7622592103903/
    Hayling Windsurf & Kitesurf Photographers: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1993863@N23/

Thanks, guys. Calshot it is.

Dan, you're quite right, Hill Head is on my way home; but I'm meeting a friend in Southampton and I wanted to get a quick splash-n-dash in beforehand. I also didn't fancy fighting my way through the traffic at M27 junction 9 - Calshot should be fairly straightforwards, as I can cross the M27 at junction 2 and so avoid Totton.

Tomorrow looks very southerly which would make Calshot very onshore. I suppose you could launch into the shipping channel for extra excitement.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Assimilating with the cyber-hive since 2004.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    1 hour ago reply retweet