Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Advice for first board

I'm determined to pick up windsurfing this year and am shopping for a used board. I'm seriously eying a BiC Veloce 328. I've been doing a fair amount of reading and know that windsurfing tech has advanced a lot in the past short while. Is this a board that could serve as a person's first or should I shell out for a newer one? Will I be able to buy new accessories for it? In short: should I buy it?

Thanks in advance

Hello BazookaJoe,

How much is it selling for?

I know naff all about that particular board, so I wont offer any half baked advice about its suitability or otherwise. But from my own experience, if you get on the water regularly, you will quickly outgrow your first board whatever it is, and want something smaller. Just something to bear in mind.

My brother leant on a Veloce 328. It's an ok board but not ideal. It might be more economic for you to hire a beginners board for a couple of sessions before getting something that will last further into your windsurfing career. Whilst the Veloce will do, a more modern wide style beginners board will give you a lot more confidence and you'll be able to focus on the core skills rather than just trying to stay on board. Once you've progressed (at a quicker rate) on a hire board you can get something that will carry you through to intermediate level.
    My brother, btw, did not continue windsurfing.

I dont know about that board, any board over 80 wide will serve you well. If you are a quick learner (perhaps been surfing before, or were able to ride a skateboard, or snowboard) then you can get away without a daggerboard and use a big fin. Boards from 2004ish onwards, before then they were a lot longer and thinner, after 2000 they developed quickly and havent changed much in the past 8 years.

You'll also find a modern board a damn site easier to lug to the beach

Oh, and the Veloce uses a trim box fin fitting. It's harder (but not impossible) to find fins with this fitting. Everything else on it can be replaced easily apart from the dagger board, which you shouldn't ever need to replace.

Thank you for the replies. I think I'm going to keep shopping. It's being sold for $200 with sail and rigging. A great deal but I think it may just be a waste of money.

My eye has wandered to a Bic Techno-2 148. It's a 148L and looks plenty wide. $600 for the board and I'll have to spend the next two months also putting together the rigging and sail. I've never windsurfed but picked up snowboarding this winter quite easily, having progressed to black runs by the end of the season (and no, not side slipping).

Is this a board I can learn on? I'm going to take lessons at the local club where they use their equipment. What do you think?

Oh, and I'm 5'9 and am 165lbs.