Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bruised heels

Default Bruised heels

Does anyone else managed to bruise the underside of their heels pretty regularly?
    I do it all the time, when hopping off the board in the shallows I think.
    Hurts a lot and takes ages to stop hurting.. even happens with 5mm boots on.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

DESTRUCTION LOG:
    - Discontinued :-)

“As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!!”

My issue are toes... keep bashing them, cracking them and generally bruise the things.

Maybe you are wearing the wrong kind of heals when you are not sailing
    Jag är ett förlorat Viking

Fins are for fish

My issue at the moment is with ankles... I find that trying to control a freestyle board in strong winds, with inside strap settings, means my ankles take a massive beating. Board not fitted with outside strap option.
    Sessions 2014: Windsurfing - 1, SUP - 8

Yep, heels, regularly. Usually on large cobble beaches, I suspect when I hop off. Hurts for a long time. I have rather small feet for my size, I suspect there is a lot more pressure per square cm on my foot than someone with natural snowshoes. Whats the size of your hoof Arf?

Of course, there are the occasional times when I do an inside jibe and get too shallow and that new fin is smacking and cracking and I jump off going too fast. But that is entirely understandable, and I usually end up bruising hips and elbows (I try and land flat) if I'm going fast. If the fin has already absorbed enough energy and I'm slowed down enough that I won't certainly snap an ankle I may try and jump off onto my feet first - maybe we should move to somewhere with sand to save my feet and gear.

My feet are a convenient size 7 and 3/8.
    I have made an effort to slow down to a crawl in very shallow water, and always try land face first. This has helped my heel problem no end.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

DESTRUCTION LOG:
    - Discontinued :-)

“As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!!”

How are you hopping off? I was always hurting my heels until I learnt how to 'reverse beach start'. Now I hardly ever do, and it's really rocky under-foot in some places where I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by boards_Gabby View Post
    How are you hopping off? I was always hurting my heels until I learnt how to 'reverse beach start'. Now I hardly ever do, and it's really rocky under-foot in some places where I sail.
    I agree...maybe you need to work out how to dismount more gracefully?? One way is to use the sail a bit like a parachute when you dismount and crouch rather than stand tall. It is not too rocky under foot where I sail but sods law says there will be something hard or sharp just where you step off. It is also far easier to dismount gracefully if you do it a bit further out in deeper water. Another factor is that there is often a wind lift and or shift at the beach unless it is completely flat inland so dismounting a bit further out is more predictable.