Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default How do you do it?

The wind in nuking, I'm flying around on my 94ltr FSW more bumping than jumping , overpowered on a 5m, halfway out of control, and yet the slalom guys calmly blast along on +2 sqm sails and a 110ltr board.

How do I do that? Is it the slalom gear?

partly I think it is. I've only tried a modern slalom board breifly once. I was on my waveboard and 4.7m that day, albeit a bit underpowered. I tried a slalom board with a 5.8m freeride rig and whilst I was certainly well powered I felt I could have handled plenty more. Certainly a 7m I would have thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Flasheart View Post
    How do I do that? Is it the slalom gear?
    No, bigger testicles.
    2014 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 07, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2013 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 21, SUP/WindSUP 04

It has got a lot to do with the gear. There's no way i could sail in 25knots with a 7 m freeride, but somehow it just works with a good fin and a 7m slalom sail. But the rider is important check out 7:05 - 7:27 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJ...eature=related
    The same thing pretty much applies for slalomgear and rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Adam View Post
    No, bigger testicles.
    If their weight contributes to board stability and MFP, I agree.

But I can be bloody braveheart, if the board goes beserk on me (and it does), I'll just have a neat hole in my sail.

LF so much of it is the gear it's designed to be sailed in those conditions, the boards have a longer waterline than a FSW so get a different drive and planing characteristic, not necessarily more comfortable but definitely faster. The sailing position is a lot more committed than on freeride gear so you need to think about that, its basically always in charge mode which I like.

Over the last 2 weekends I've been testing my Simmer SCR7.8 which is an out and out race sail against my Naish Boxer SL which is really a freeride sail and quite a nice one at that but I am now 100% convinced that the 7.8 planes earlier, is much much faster and can be used in higher winds than the 7.0 can handle, in essence that one sail has actually made my 7.0 and quite possibly my 6.4 redundant which is a shock. Also it has made my 9.0 redundant as I find i can go from 11.5 and Formula to 7.8 and 125. When using the 7.8 the only thing that holds me back is the fin, I can physically feel the fins drag - there goes more money!
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

[QUOTE=. When using the 7.8 the only thing that holds me back is the fin, I can physically feel the fins drag - there goes more money![/QUOTE]

Blatent plug - have a look at Black Project Fins

http://www.blackprojectfins.com/

I am using the slalom fins and really like them. Anyway, have a look at the website and email them if you have any questions - Chris is always happy to help.