Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Heavyweights waveboard?

So having read the boards 90ltr wave board test saying that with new board design you can get away with bigger waveboards , what size waveboards do the big guys (110kg + ) use?? Especially as there isnt many 100ltr plus wave boards ......
    Heavyweight struggling with boards designed for little people

http://www.sussex-windsurfing.co.uk

Lots of big wave boards coming for 2012. Goya has a 104 L quad, Simmer has a 105 L trifin, JP has a 106 L trifin, RRD has a 100 L quad. Exocet has renamed their Kona long boards as the Carve and made them a trifin (the trifin happened last year). Starboard still has their head up their arse.

I'd snap up the 106 Witchcraft chakra that is on the for sale thread on here.

For the record, I am a little bit against the trend of people going for bigger wave boards. Or at least I think a lot of care has to be taken. Particularly if you think this will help you plane earlier. If you want more planing power it is generally better to go for a "faster" board. If you need more stability and support, or more drive and power in the wave riding, width gauges this much better than volume. Just some quick words of caution so that you don't let the "volume trend" run away with you.

That said, if you are 110 kilos you are not at risk. The development of bigger wave bards will surely be a gain for you. If you want a pure wave sailing board, I reckon something like the Goya quad could be a good idea. The Simmer fsw 105 seems to do the job very well for our 100 kg testers too and they tell me it feel like a true fast wave board. The rocker we use on this board makes it a very good "weight carrier". Let me know if you want more info on this board.
    Ola H.

Simmer Style Boards and Sails

I've loved my Goya one 105 this summer. Felt much nicer than my 96l geurilla wave. And it's not only been used in small float and ride but logo high cross shore. Ok I'm not a super experienced wave sailor but it was going very well up and down the wave, and the rail held really well. These more wave orientated fsw are great!

Ola makes a good point, at 100Kg before suit I prefer to go for a faster FSW 91L with a 23cm single fin, the slight lack of early planing is more than made up for by the speed of accereleration and ability to hold speed through lulls, chop and when riding upwind (my preferred option believe it or not).

That being said I'm avidly saving my pennies for a newer board and its probably going to be a twin around a 92-94L size that I intend to use with 5.4 down and I have a 110FS that may or may not get changed for a Naish Koncept 110 that I tried in Leucate and loved, single fin, very fast and loos but still direct with an ease of jumping and gybing I couldn't believe.

Bring on 2012 bring on the new kit!
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"

Quote Originally Posted by ash34 View Post
    So having read the boards 90ltr wave board test saying that with new board design you can get away with bigger waveboards , what size waveboards do the big guys (110kg + ) use?? Especially as there isnt many 100ltr plus wave boards ......

232cm X 64.6cm with a nose of 44.5cm tail of 38cm twin fin.

110 ltrs ish, but feels so much smaller
    I'm 105kg and use it from 7m down to 4m.

I am so happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final board.jpg 
Views:	1448 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	5012  
    BWA Tour Director in waiting