Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: rrd fire move?

Default rrd fire move?

Does anyone knows someting about this new board?

I have one in my garage waiting for next weekend. (120L Ltd)

My thoughts behind it are a blend of freeride in planning wind (I have a Kona One for anything lighter) and coastal, quiver range 5.2 - hopefully, around 8ish.

I've also been enjoying improving my tacks and gybes on my Starboard Rio (lightwind messing inside a Spanish marina) and it's got me thinking that some basic freestyle stuff could be an interesting path to venture down (and maybe 'racing' Konas is a bit one directional for a lightwind evening pursuit)

I'm not quite sure what 'freemove' means- if I've guessed right, its freestyle without any actual style, which I guess perfectly describes any tricks or natty manoeuvres that I manage to ever pull off.

It feels very solid, yet suprisingly light and above all, it looks great. Nice and wide (80cm on the 120) so should be a relatively stable platform. Volume distribution looks even, guess I can't tell until I try and tack it for the first time.

Jem Hall reported that the volume comes up a bit bigger, around 8L apparently. This is good for me as I'm mainly inland and currently 98kg but dropping.

The only negative I have found so far (from unwrapping it and adding straps) is that is doesn't come with a free key ring like my last RRD board.
    Last edited by jwlbrace; 13th June 2011 at 08:38 AM.

Looking forward for a report after next weekend! Good luck!

okay, please temper this review with the fact that I'm relatively new to windsurfing, but would probably self-classify as improving rather than beginner.

RRD Firemove 120Ltd with a 7.5 Severne Gator up... variable wind (actually a bit frustrating on/off type of wind)

A week of dodging salads in France for work left me weighing in at 102kg on Saturday morning, yet I was still able to uphaul in the lulls. Good volume distribution in the nose for this, although I couldn't really tack it very easily- more practice/speed and I'd get there.

My first thoughts were how 'turny' it feels- it really lets you steer with the feet properly and just reacts so well. A definite step up in tuning from my old RRD Fireride 150L. It was great fun when planing and seems to embrace the width at 80cm, offering loads of power on the edge. It's thin and I found waterstarting (when the gusts were there) surprisingly easy!

I'd actually say the fin could be bigger and I might try a larger one next time- the tail seemed to slide out a little when pushing the rail upwind, but it's a freemove board so I guess that would be expected if I knew any better.

I was running the 7.5, but felt it could hold more very easily and with a bigger fin would translate into a good freeride/blast board. I'll be getting a bigger sail soon enough, but I'm reluctant to saddle it with my heavy 9.0m Kona rig- I might as well sail the Kona if it's that light.

Very happy customer- it's going to offer lots of fun!
    Last edited by jwlbrace; 20th June 2011 at 09:50 AM.

Nice to hear your are happy with it! I think I will buy one. Hope you will have a lot of fun with it this summer!

Handle with care. It's very, very delicate.
    Just because you shout loudest don't mean that you're right!

Yes, I will most certainly try to handle it with care, that might be difficult in strong winds on beaches with stones.