Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65

Quote Originally Posted by tooold2dance View Post
    its too bad that the top PWA brands didn't tell Goya, Levi, Marcilio & Junko

that their boards had the wrong & heavy & weak boxes in Hawaii

That's right. It matters that much. The differences are small. (Doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for the best option.)

Mind you. Love the way the JP site claims glory from Kauli's near-win, whilst showing him in their pics on a production board.
    In the heats I saw, Kauli was in fact on a 'maggot tail' custom board, possibly made by Quatro.

And the most interesting story that came out of the Aloha this year, was Josh Angulo telling everyone they should still be on single fins (see interview on ContinentSeven).
    Last edited by basher; 7th November 2013 at 03:20 AM.
    The wind looks rubbish over Easter but try beaches open to NE winds on Sunday.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA

Basher your
    As far as fin length goes, you can use exactly the same fin length you'd use in a US box. Because the fin root with a slot box is the same depth as a US box, and the box itself is attached to the deck skin as well as to the hull bottom skin.

As with a US box, up to say 28cms fin length is fine.
    (My Kode 86 came with a huge 28cms fin to set in the US box – I don't use it because it's too big for me, but it's fine in the box)
    saying its ok to use a 28cm is not the same as saying I don't use over 23cm

K4 Fins
    4Boards.co.uk

May the fours be with you

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA

Basher, you like to discuss lightness and strength, I guess your interest in my weight post on boxes.

I would like to have the strongest board, and then the strongest box set up for the fins.
    When installing boxes into an existing board a different technique/practice is used , no option ::it has to be.
    Having the strongest for me is not critical, I sail pretty conservative and am light.
    I feel that any of the multi fin boxes I show are strong enough, provided the fins don't become too large.
    So far as strength the mini tuttle for sides and either US or S/B for the rear on any configuration is robust enough for most.

the Mini tuttle and USbox in a Witchcraft would be arguably the best definition of a STRONG board , and coming in 2nd.. well I don't know

K4 Fins
    4Boards.co.uk

May the fours be with you

I think good engineering is not just about strength but more about something being fit for purpose.

In windsurfing, we don't want stuff to break, but we don't want it to weigh down our boards either.

It's the same debate as the endless one we have with RDM mast extensions – we want an extension that won't break, but we don't want it to weigh 2kgs either.

So, with fin boxes, we look to see if they are fit for purpose – will the fin or fin box break under normal use, does the box used offer the adjustment range needed, and what weight does using that box add to the board?

All the weight issues need to be seen as incremental in the chase for lighter, stronger gear set-ups that do what we want them to.
    The wind looks rubbish over Easter but try beaches open to NE winds on Sunday.