Hello, I'm a beginning windsurfer curious about windsurfing schools in Cyprus. What information I've found seems to be about renting/individual instruction from resort hotels, rather than a Club Mistral-type operation. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good windsurfing school in Cyprus?

Thanks very much.

I know of only two dedicated windsurfing hire/instruction operations in Cyprus, south or north: SurfCyprus, and another on the waterfront at Limassol (which may no longer exist - I can't find a website for it).

SurfCyprus does have some kind of association with the Columbia hotels in Pissouri Bay, but in past years it has also provided standalone tuition and rental for people who aren't staying at the hotels. I have found it to be a professionally run outfit with a reasonable range of kit (reasonable for the numbers who use it). There's a rescue jetski/boat. In the past it also had an attached shop for kit, sundries and surfwear, but I don't think that exists any more. It isn't a Club Mistral-type operation, in terms of scale or facilities.

Typical Cyprus conditions are like those on many Mediterranean islands - calm-ish mornings, force 4-5 afternoons. But sometimes a stronger hot wind blows for days on end, or there are several days of almost complete calm.

It's fair to say Cyprus isn't a summer windsurfing hotspot. Pissouri Bay, for example, is OK for beginners, but not perfect; it gets deep quickly. I've never seen any waves worth mentioning in the summer, nor have I come across any Dahab-type lagoons. That's not to say they don't exist; there's a lot of coastline.

However, there's a forumite who lives in Cyprus (Man with White Van?) who may be able to tell you more.

HTH

H

P.S. I noticed from Google there's now an supcyprus website; in some ways summer Cyprus may be better for SUP-ing.

Siamo nella merda

I think this summer they will be setting up a new windsurfing centre at Mackenzie Beach in Larnaca (at the already existing water sports centre). Your best bet is to go there and ask at the watersports centre for info. Mackenzie beach is next to the airport. The wind is consistent southwesterlies from 11am-5pm from 13-18+ knots during the summer, flat conditions.

Also another place to check out is Nicosia Sailing club they have some outdated gear for beginners that you can rent out and get lessons too.

Quote Originally Posted by aris
    I think this summer they will be setting up a new windsurfing centre at Mackenzie Beach in Larnaca (at the already existing water sports centre). Your best bet is to go there and ask at the watersports centre for info. Mackenzie beach is next to the airport. The wind is consistent southwesterlies from 11am-5pm from 13-18+ knots during the summer, flat conditions.
    Here's their website: http://www.windsurfcitycyprus.com

Any first hand info about the place? Worth a visit in July or better head to northern parts of Mediterranean, Rhodes/Greece mainland? There seems to be cheaper flights to Cyprus than to Greece from our hoods but if place is total miss, then it's better to pay some extra to get to Greece.

I have never sailed in the Aegean but people say it is 4.0-6.0m conditions. Cyprus is more like 5.5-7.0m in July. Don't know if that helps.

Mackenzie beach is a reliable location and gets consistent south westerly winds in July. I would say you should sail 4 or 5 days out of a week of holiday in the summer.

If it's cost you are worried about then Larnaca, where Mackenzie beach is located is among the cheaper resort towns too.

Hope that helps.

Hi aris,

thanks for the info. We decided to head to Rhodes / Prasonisi, just to secure the wind conditions & got pretty cheap flights, accommodation & car. Maybe we'll check the Cyprus, someday...