Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

So I went into a shop and watched a demonstration of the North PowerXT .
    http://www.north-windsurf.com/en/rig-components/POWER.XT
    It seemed to me a bit outdated in that the cleat isn't angled or side mounted to directly allign with the pulley hardware of new sails. Does anyone think North will modify the design soon?

I've bought one of these for a skinny mast and have been plagued with problems despite all sorts of modifications with elastic to take up the slack of the excess rope.

I haven't even used it in anger yet and i'm having visions of spending more time faffing about with the damm thing trying to get enough downhaul whilst alll my mates have cranked it down with their harness hooks and heading out on the water. Total waste of cash

I have used 3 of these for 2 years without any problems. I simply love it and will never go back to regular extensions.

I've just bought a skinny one - Only used it once and it was easy peasy to use. Not sure why you are having trouble henno??? Getting rid of the excess rope doesn;t seem any different to any other extension to me - either poke it in to one of the holes under the extension or if there's not enough space to fit all the rope in, just wind it round the mast and tie it off as normal. I rigged mine with a Naish Boxer btw.

B

2012 5 Oceans 5.3m 4 Batten "light" version. Very good condition. 220 (SOLD)
    2011 5 Oceans 4m 4 Batten. Good condition. 180.
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. 80

PM me for more details/pics.

Although I don't have any trouble putting in enough downhaul in my sails either on my own power or with the cranks I own, the ability to easily alter the downhaul tension while sailing appeals to me. What kind of troubles were you having, Henno? I can imagine mechanical ones especially if sand fouls the working parts. How about the twisting of the downhaul rope due to the bad angle for new sails?

It simply slips when there is only 75% of the downhaul required, at the point when it starts to slip you can still manually down haul with your bare hands.

The chap at the shop said the skinny masts have trouble as there isn't enough room in the tube for the excess line so I have added a piece of elastic to take up the slack line and pull it away from the cog. The thing is brand spanking new so there is no wear and tear or any sand. I bought it not really for me but for my girlfriend who sails and struggles to get enough downhaul, i'm wishing i'd bought a carbon one and a winch instead for the same price.

Still, I bought a RDM Amex Kombat 400cm 90% retailing at 320 for 99 from the same guy so I didn't do badly.

If its brand new and slips then just take it back
    2012 5 Oceans 5.3m 4 Batten "light" version. Very good condition. 220 (SOLD)
    2011 5 Oceans 4m 4 Batten. Good condition. 180.
    2008 Demon (5 Oceans) Custom 4.6m 5 Batten. Well used, but in good working order with no rips or tears. 80

PM me for more details/pics.