Thread: Surfline Box

This should probably be in vans and vehicles, but i figured this section was more likely to reach the right person.

I was thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.surfbox.de/surflinebox.htm

I would really like to hear anyones opinion who has bought one. It has been brought up in other threads, but I particularly want to know:

1. Can it be fitted to standard Thule roofbars?

2. Has anyone managed to get roughly a 265*68cm board in one? Does it leave enough room for masts/sails/boom etc? The largest is 287*90*40, so it certainly looks big enough, but I'm not sure if these are external or internal dimensions.

Walloon.

I have the SL580 which is 265*81*35. I could fit in my x-cite ride 120 which is 68cm wide. You don't normally put the board in a bag if you want to get anything else in, There are board holders in the box to keep the board in place.

I can also fit in 4 sails (7.5,6.2,5.4 and 4.7), 3 masts and 1 boom in. To be honest that is a bit of a squeeze in my box and you have to make sure everything is packed well. The main issue with my box is the 7.5 poking into the front of the box where the box isn't as deep as the back.

I wish I had bought the bigger model you are looking at as I reckon the above would fit in comfortably, but the size I bought was on sale when I bought it

I fit my box to standard square Thule bars. The easurements are external, but the box is quite thin so you don't loose much internally. The box is quite light I can lift it onto the car myself when it is empty.

I'm pretty happy with mine and would only change it if they brought out something that was say 120-140cm wide and you could get substantially more kit in.

Thanks mark, yer a star. Its cheaper than the quiverack, and I cant be bothered dragging a trailer about. Van would be ideal but needs must....

I agree. I bought mine because it was cheapper than a quiver rack and also the fact you can get a board inside really is a big bonus in leaving kit ready to go.

Leaving it on the car all the time loaded with kit does mean that you are restricted to about 80ish (mph) and it does impact the cars handling having all that weight high up, but you learn to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by markr View Post
    I'm pretty happy with mine...
    I am on the cusp of buying the largest version of these boxes and my one and only concern is buyer protection.

The company asks you to send a bank transfer in advance, then they dispatch the box. This I believe offers me no protection in case of problems, as opposed to credit card or paypal might.

Anyone bought from them recently and able to offer any advice?

Thanks

Richard