Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Im sorry to bore any of you who have had this conversation loads of times before, but i can't seem to get the right length for my harness lines. I am 6ft and i set my boom at shoulder height with the back line 1/3 the way back along the sail as cribby advises.

I have been using 22" lines as i am told to by all my friends, but it just doesn't feel right. I look at the pics of pros and some have them short and some have them long! i don't know where mine should be set and i fear it may be hindering my progress.

Please help me guys!!!

Sorry to muscle in on your question, but can someone tell me how the measurement is taken for a fixed length line. Is it the internal distance between the the boom and loop as it would be when hooked in, or is it the end to end measured length before fixing to the boom. (or something else). I have recently bought a second hand boom with fixed length lines attached and would like to identify the line length.

Over the years the 'fashionable' length for harness lines has changed almost on an annual basis! I know that Jem Hall for example currently teaches his clients to go for long lines, and while it suits some, others find them really difficult. If you get to see Peter Hart's 'Speed with Style' video there's a section where they go through the rigging tent at Sotovento comparing harness line length's of Dunkerbeck, Naish etc etc - and they're all different! I think harness line position is more important - as far as length goes, personal preference seems to play a bigger role. As long as they are not so short as to make hooking in difficult, or not so long that you keep unhooking unintentionally, then you're in the right ball park. At the end of the day, for most of us windsurfing is a hobby - go with what's comfortable for you - it's meant to be fun, not an exact science!

I agree with Nick it all comes down to personal preference. I started with 22" adjustable lines, but as my sailing has improved I'm now down to 19.5" fixed lines. Another consideration is the length of the hook on your harness, my '01 Magic Harness had a rather small hook that didn't extend away from the harness very far, conversely the hook on my new Da Kine extends about an inch futher out, hence the shorter lines. Personnaly I can't sail long lines because I keep dropping out, and found it rather uncomfortable sitting so low to the water. Just buy some adjusties and keep moving them around until you find your perfect position.

Yeah, I agree with all above - whatever works is best. I use 26" for formula, and 20" for freeride.

Perhaps get an adjustable pair (get ones with a metal cleat), so that you can play around.

Did I see something in (ahem) windsurf mag a bit ago, by harty about this depending on the gorilla factor (arm length - body length ratio) of the sailor?

Simply put, you're supposed to straighten your arms - I've set my lines long enough to do that without contortion - if they're much shorter I either have to really arch my back (not comfy) or sail much closer to the rig (bad technique). Finished up tweaking boom height to control where my ar$e was in relation to the wet stuff.

Probably completely wrong...

Interesting to hear all your takes on harness lines. Certainly from my perspective increasing my line length to 26inches has massivley improved my sailing. Just last week when working with Chris Audsley (previous UK freewave champion) it was so apparent how much more speed and control he had with longer lines, going from 22inches to 26inches.

Like you all say it is personal and it is what works best for you thats most important. So for me its elbow in the harness line loop and base of thumb on the boom - thats 26 inches, please note some lines are not as they say. Pro limit, north shore and neil pryde, to name a few, come in as accurate. Add two inches to the required line should you get Da kine ones.

Hartys gorilla factor is very relevant as to how personal your set up is. Its just that so many people i ve coached, short n tall, young n old, beginner to winner, have just found the longer lines really helping them. This assumes a boom height of shoulder height ie boom on or up to 3 fingers off the tail of the board, depending on height.

Top tip - is to sail along one handed, as these teaches you to use your hips and body position to sheet in.

I find that my line position is around 5 hand widths back from the front off the boom.

hope this helps and that you ve been enjoying some fine sailing!

jemhall.com
    RRD / EZZY SAILS / FLYING OBJECTS / Big Salty Weather / Pro Sport Sunblock / Grasshopper porridge

2010 Clinics are selling fast:
    Moulay - April - FULL
    Rhodes - June 9 Ints & 30 Loop LAST PLACES, June 16 & 23 FULL
    PSC, Baja - Aug - Waves - FULL
    Rhodes - Sept 8 - 15 - FULL
    Mauritius - Sept 22 - Oct 2 - book now
    Ireland - Oct 9 - 16 - WAVES - LIMITED
    Jeri, Brazil - Dec. 3 - 12 - advanced / waves - FULL

Focus, believe and Enjoy!